By Somali K Chakrabarti
14th Feb is the day when love is in the air as people all over the world celebrate Valentine’s Day.
Love, it is said, is what makes life worth living. Philosophers and poets have defined love in numerous ways. Here is a collection of some of my favorite quotes on love and life.
- ‘They say a person needs just three things to be truly happy in this world: someone to love, something to do, and something to hope for.’ ~Tom Bodett
- ‘There are two basic motivating forces: fear and love. When we are afraid, we pull back from life. When we are in love, we open to all that life has to offer with passion, excitement, and acceptance.’ ~ John Lennon
- ‘Where there is love there is life.’ ~Mahatma Gandhi
Love finds expression in different ways. While some people say volumes in love, others may express it with a silent gaze.
- ‘You can’t measure the mutual affection of two human beings by the number of words they exchange.’ ~Milan Kundera [Tweet this]
- ‘Love is like the wind, you can’t see it but you can feel it.’ ~Nicholas Sparks [Tweet this]
- ‘Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.’ ~ Robert A Heinlen [Tweet this]
Romantic love is the bug that bites all at some point or the other. It makes your heart flutter as chemicals in the brain come into play, and passion and emotions find their way. When in love, you are full of pep; there’s a twinkle in your eyes, a smile on your face, and a spring in your step.
Some call it fire, some call it force, and it may engulf you in its course. There you are on an emotional high and you feel as if in the seventh heaven. No wonder, Love is the feeling that people love to be in.
Some quotes on romantic love are:
- ‘Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell.’ ~Joan Crawford [Tweet this]
- ‘Love is an untamed force. When we try to control it, it destroys us. When we try to imprison it, it enslaves us. When we try to understand it, it leaves us feeling lost and confused.’ ~Paulo Coelho
Yet, even for the strongest love to last, it has to be more than a strong feeling, it calls for a judgement, a decision, and a commitment.
- ‘Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction’. ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry [Tweet this]
I end this post with a witty quote from Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, the novel written in 1813, that deals with the timeless and universally relevant ideas of love, upbringing and morality.
- ‘A lady’s imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment.’ ~ Jane Austen
If you like this post, please consider following the blog.
Please like, share and/or leave feedback in comments below!